This is an antique chair I bought on craigslist March of 2012. I bought it as a project to reupholster when I got around to it. I bought another chair at the same time and have already reupholstered it so that one didn't' take me a full 3 1/2 years. I did the other chair first because it was an easier project. Last February I finally got around to taking this chair apart, and with Quinn's help we put the new fabric on. After we had completed the whole chair except the edging we decided that we should have strengthened the edge by doubling over the fabric and then stapling it.. We had enough fabric to do that but it was so hard to destroy our beautiful new work and tear it all apart, so instead we just put the chair back in the garage for another 6 months so it could haunt me every time I saw it.
Old/Original Fabric
 |
| I actually really like the original fabric but it was obviously 100 years old. One of the cushions on the arm was completely gone. The front edge of the seat looked like a cat may have sharpened some claws on it, the cushion on the seat was bent and sinking down into the bottom of the chair. But, that is the beautiful thing about re-finishing a chair you get to fix all those little things and it is so fun to enjoy the finished project. |
New fabric after re upholstery
 |
| Those lines through the new fabric that look like we didn't stretch it tight enough are just tecture in the fabric. It really is stretched tight. |
Oh it looks great! Good job! I know what you mean about letting projects haunt you. I've got a dozen or so around my house that are doing the same thing!
ReplyDeleteThat looks amazing! Nice work!
ReplyDeleteNicely done. I have a project under the house that needs done. You know which one I'm talking about. Maybe this year.
ReplyDelete