Test 6

Saturday, October 26, 2013

HALLOWEEN

Our Halloween already happened. Our ward party was on the 18th and that's all we do for halloween (sorry Shannon). We had a fun time dressing up. McKay was Curious George or as he used to say it "Givian George" and Quinn was The Man with the Yellow Hat or as McKay calls him "Da yellow man wif da yellow hat" That idea I'm happy to say was inspired by Shannon. That is what Jason and Gavin are going to be and I thought it was a great idea so I used it since we live in different states. I was going to have Gensie be a chicken and Avonlea her egg but I wanted to make the costumes and it turns out it cost too much for the supplies. So instead Avonlea was Curious George's banana and Gensie was an indian. I have always loved dressing my kids up as indians. McKay was a Little Brave for his second Halloween so I thought Gensie should be an indian  too especially after I found this costume. I'm sad to say I didn't dress up. McKay kept saying I was going to be "Sister man in da yellow hat" but I don't know what she looks like and by the time you get all these costumes ready for everyone else you're kinda out of ideas and energy. So I went as boring old mom. I found all 3 kids costumes at Once Upon A Child and Quinn's costume we put together our selves. Our neighbor gave us her husbands old white shirt. It was a little big but hey, it didn't cost us anything. We couldn't find bright yellow pants at Goodwill (go figure) so we looked for white. We couldn't find any mens white pants so we went with womans. We had a white tie and then when we went to dye the clothes we read on the dye that the tie fabric wouldn't take it.  It was late the night before the party so what did we do?  We dyed the clothes and made a tie out of bright yellow poster board that I already had. The pants turned out great but because the shirt and pants are different fabrics they didn't take the dye equally.  So the pants turned out A LOT brighter than the shirt. Oh well. It so happened that the pants were exactly the same color as the poster board I had so we changed our minds about the hat. I was going to dye fabric yellow then cover a witches hat in yellow fabric but instead we made a brim out of cardboard then I shapped the tall part of the hat out of poster board. Then I attatched them to each other with hot glue and tape. I put a top on the hat then covered the brim top and bottom in the same yellow poster board. It really turned out great. I think when we first showed up and were getting out of the car Quinn felt a little like a nerd but as soon as we walked into the gym he got about 5 compliments in 2 min and people were saying "That's awesome" and wanting to have their picture taken with him. As the night went on Quinn received more and more compliments and people kept telling me how much they liked it too. McKay wouldn't hardly were his costume because he was too hot in it. But people LOVED Gensie's. When it came time for the best costume awards I thought this will be interesting so see if any of them win. Well, Gensie won first place for the cutest costume and Quinn and McKay won first place for the best couple's costume. After the party was over we had a young couple in the ward that have just one little boy Gensie's age come up and tell us that was the best costume they've ever seen and wanted to know every detail of how we made it. After we answered all their questions as we were leaving I said to Quinn "Well, we know what they're going  to be for Halloween next year". It was very flattering to have them like it so much. We had a great time and really enjoyed all the laughs we gave people when they saw Quinn's costume.

We call her Sister Sue. Now she really is a Sioux Indian.


This was her little papoose. Like I said I like indians so a year or so ago I found this doll at Salvation Army and have been saving it to give to one of my girls. A minute before we walked out the door running late for the party I grabbed the doll took brown yard and strapped her to Gensie's back. People loved it. It really was a great little addition to her costume.



Curious George eating his banana.


Da yellow man wif da yellow hat and Givian George.

By the way you're probably thinking the man with the yellow hat doesn't have a polka dotted tie and he has black trim instead of brown. Well, I thought the same thing and that is the case with the modern movies. But in the old original books he has Brown boots, brown belt and Brown polka dotted tie.

McKay thought Quinn's costume was pretty neat. He really liked his hat.

First place awards



6 comments:

  1. Wow, those all are great! I am very impressed as well. Good job Tash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won! That is neat. Love the costumes. They look quite great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fun! You did a great job, homemade costumes are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the winner for sure. Neat to see such a creative touch. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. MY. GOSH. These are awesome. I especially liked Gensie's costume with her papoose. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so much fun! Not only do you get to dress your kids up but I love that Quinn takes a part as well :-)

    ReplyDelete