Test 6

Friday, October 10, 2014

Just one of those days

Well...... tonight was a lot different than Quinn and I had planned. We try to go to the temple once a month. We usually do quite well at making that happen. If we happen to skip a month we make up for it by going twice the next month. Well, with having so much company in town the beginning of August and then with the temple being closed the last 3 weeks of August we didn't make it that month. We had fully planned to make up for it in Sept but every time we tried we couldn't get a baby sitter. I wasn't feeling great being pregnant so sometimes we would plan to go and take our kids with us, but then I would end up not feeling well enough so we never made it once in September either.

Now we need to go 3 times in October.

We decided to go today. We take the kids with us and while one of us goes in to do initiatory for 30 min or so the other watches the kids on the temple grounds. Then we switch places. We've done it before and it worked quite well. Quinn got home from work and after dealing with a fussy kid we got dinner going and eaten. We jumped in the van and drove 45 minutes to the temple. I always get car sick going to the temple. I don't know if it's the road or the traffic; maybe both. I always have to watch the road and be real careful, so I'm not a lot of help with the kids unfortunately.

We decided to go to the distribution center first since I so badly need garments. I didn't want them to close before we were done at the temple. Since I got married and started wearing garments I have thought they were awful. I have never never been able to find any long enough that I could keep them tucked in. I have tried a number of different kinds and nothing has ever worked. For the last 2 years I have continued to wear my maternity tops even after I wasn't pregnant and had lost all the baby weight. They were very loose and baggy on me but they were longer than my regular tops. In July Quinn and I went to the distribution center and had the ladies walk us through every detail of what would be the best fabric and fit for me since I'm tall and I get sooooo hot. We bought one set to see what I thought and lo and behold they were too long.

WHAT?!

I'm not kidding, if I wasn't careful the top would hang out the bottom of my T-shirt. We went back that same month and bought a couple more of the same thing just not as long. I tried them and I have loved them. I never knew garments could feel so good. They fit perfect and after 6 years of cussing my garments I no longer complain about them. But I do only have I think 3 pairs.  So since July I have needed to go get more. Even with the extra incentive to go to the temple we still haven't made it since July.

So tonight we get to the garment store. Quinn stays in the van with the kids while I quickly run in. I am actually quite excited to get more. I take my old packages since I always save them so I'll know what to buy next time. I didn't want to hunt all over for them so I just asked one of the ladies if she could show me right where these ones are. She took my empty packages and headed straight to the isle. Then she said "Oh they've just stopped making these. You can still get the tops but they no longer make the bottoms and we're still waiting for our order of the ones that will replace them."

WHAT?!

She then added "And you can no longer get them online, sorry." The ones that will be replacing them she said will have more of a taper to the leg like caranessa. One of the things I have hated about my previous ones is that they can be too tight in the leg and now they're making them tighter.  I can't stand the caranessa garments. I walked out of there so disappointed. When I told Quinn, he couldn't believe it. Then we sit there kicking ourselves.  If we would have been able to make it to the temple in August or September they might have still had them. I couldn't even try the new ones because they don't' have them in stock yet.

So we head to the temple.

Quinn heads in first while I let the kids walk/run around the temple grounds. Of course their favorite place to go is to the pool and fountains. So it's quite the battle telling McKay and Gensie to stay back and holding onto Lele. After just a couple minutes Quinn came out and said there was a 15 min wait before he could start. He told me to go see if the women's was running faster. We switched and I went in confident that I would be able to get right in. Even if only one of us does the temple work at least we went and did some. I have never had to wait for initiatories before. I went in and they said it would be at least a 30 min wait. I said "Oh no" and looked at my watch. They said you might consider waiting. I told them I couldn't I had 3 little kids outside. I went to find Quinn and the kids and they had headed over to the visitor center. We were in there with the kids for a few minutes but most of our time was spent trying to keep Avonlea and Genesis out of the fake plant stuff at the bottom of the fake trees. They just wanted to grab a hand full and pack off with it. We then went over to watch some little 5 min videos. Only we would start one and since they have it where the kids can touch the screen to pick what movie you watch it kept getting restarted or changed. We would be right in the middle of the one McKay wanted to watch when Gensie would suddenly change it to the one she wanted. Then McKay would change it back but you couldn't fast forward to where you were so we just kept watching the beginnings over and over. To end this battle we headed over to let the kids paint a picture on a touch screen. Quinn and I were talking about whether or not he should go back to the temple since his wait was shorter but he didn't put his name down to hold his spot so the wait might be longer now.  Gensie didn't' take a nap today so I felt like she was on the verge of a melt down. We finally decided to just go home since it was now after 7 and we have a 40 min drive. On the way home the kids were hungry and the only thing we had since we hadn't planned on the night going this way was graham crackers so they ate those for a late snack on the way home. On the way home while I'm trying to not get car sick as I hand out our crackers Quinn stopped at Best Buy to grab a very much needed computer cord. Ours had quit working completely so we couldn't charge or use our computer at all. After waiting in the car with fussy kids for 15 minutes and Gensie hollering the whole time that she needed to go pee pee so bad, Quinn finally comes back with the part. He takes Gensie to the bathroom then we head home to discover the guy sold us the wrong cord and it wont fit our computer.

Very eventful and accomplished evening wouldn't you say?  We got NOTHING done that we set out to do tonight. Hopefully the Lord will recognize our efforts to go to the temple even though we didn't actually do any work.

Maybe I should say TEMPLE work, because the whole night was a lot of work!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man! That is such a bummer! I can't believe they aren't making the garments you like anymore. That's so frustrating. And I can't believe you don't like the caranessa ones. I love those! I couldn't stand the ones I had before finding those ones. But I completely understand finally finding ones you like and then not being able to get them anymore. Argh. And driving all that way just to not be able to go. And to get home with the wing cord! Oh my. Definitely one of those days. I think the Lord is very aware of your struggle and your intentions. Sometimes I think we are just tested to see if we will try again next time- which I'm sure you will. Good job on making the temple such a priority. I have got to do a better job at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man! I was going to ask you what size/type you liked since I have all the same issues and from what I remember we are similar height/build. I usually buy the drisilque round tops since they are the only ones that don't make me feel stifling hot in the Phx AZ heat. But I get the carinessa bottoms because they don't ride up on me. The tops do ride up though, and I'm always fishing them down/ tugging on them which is super annoying. The maternity tops are too long, the tail pops out or bunches up after sitting or bending over and I have to constantly check to make sure it's tucked in. If you find something you love please let me know! (Nancywshbrn@yahoo.com). And I think just going TO the temple -even if it's just the temple grounds, brings blessings -so I hope you are blessed lots for your efforts! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I can't believe all of that happened! You couldn't have picked a better title. Good thing all days come to an end, and we get to start over :)

    ReplyDelete