Well, stake conference was this week end and she did a great job. She spoke Saturday evening in the adult session. She was the first of 8 people asked to give a 5 minute talk about our Stake initiative to Experience The Book of Mormon. Here is the text of her talk. I know her Mom would especially like to read it.
As a mother of 3 young children, much of my experience with The Book of Momon lately has been through the eyes of my oldest child Mckay, who is 3 years old. I love teaching him the stories of The Book of Mormon! And he loves learning them.
My husband and I are trying to apply what President Marion G Romney said about the Book of Mormon:
“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness” (Ensign, May 1980, p. 67).
In commenting on this quote, President Ezra Taft Benson made the following statement:
“These promises—increased love and harmony in the home, greater respect between parent and child, increased spirituality and righteousness—are not idle promises, but exactly what the Prophet Joseph Smith meant when he said the Book of Mormon will help us draw nearer to God”.
Our primary children learn and sing of this truth in these words:
I love to read the holy scriptures,
And, ev'ry time I do,
I feel the Spirit start to grow within my heart-
A testimony that they're true.
Search, ponder, and pray
Are the things that I must do.
The Spirit will guide, and, deep inside,
I'll know the scriptures are true.
So, prayerfully I'll read the scriptures
Each day my whole life through.
I'll come to understand.
I'll heed the Lord's command
And live as he would have me do.
McKay is the oldest of my 3 children and I am trying to teach him to be an example to his little sisters. I know that the Book of Mormon is a key part of that. I have also tried to teach him from the lives of the prophets and about Heavenly Father and Jesus, and to be like them. As I teach him who Jesus is and that he needs to be like Him, I wonder why he has such a desire to be like someone he has never met in this life. As I asked my husband this question his response was that the Spirit testifies to him that it is true.
In teaching McKay from the Book of Mormon, I am experiencing it for myself. I am experiencing the Book of Mormon by using wooden spoons from my kitchen as swords to cut off Lamanite arms. I am experiencing the Book of Mormon when I see McKay teach anyone who walks through our door about how Nephi was courageous. I am experiencing the Book of Mormon when we fight the bad guys who are trying to shoot 'Salmon the Yamanite'. I am experiencing the Book of Mormon by simply being a mother.
I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.
I know that the Prophet Joseph Smith was called by God to translate this sacred book and restore the true church to the earth.
I know that as we prayerfully read the Book or Mormon personally and as a family we will feel the power of this great book change our lives.
I testify that our Savior died for us, that He lives again, and that He loves us with a perfect love.
That is great! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. We loved it.
ReplyDelete-Brady and Corinne
What a great message. Thanks for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great message. Thanks for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteWow Tash, speaking in stake conference. That is a good talk. Were your kids trying to talk with you? :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome talk! You have inspired me to do better reading scriptures to my boys. Sometimes I feel like it is an accomplishment just to get my own personal reading done! But I know I can do better. Thanks Tash! =)
ReplyDeleteThis was wonderful :-) what a great message
ReplyDeleteThis was wonderful :-) what a great message
ReplyDelete