This card was given to Tasha and I in a care package for nursing mothers and we found it very interesting. This is what it says:
DID YOU KNOW...
ALL pediatric health organizations in the world recommend breastfeeding .
NO pediatric health organization in the world recommends circumcision.
Infant circumcision significantly increases risk of breastfeeding complications.
Infant Circumcision Increases Rates of:
-Latching complications
-Ineffective nursing (reducing milk supply)
-Discomfort, pain and crying ('colic")
-PTSD symptoms
-Failure to thrive
-Confusion/withdrawal
-Agitation at the breast
-Sleep troubles
-Night terrors
-Insecure attachment
The early months of life are a crucial time for a newborn to develop secure attachment. Physical pain and trauma interfere with the bonding process between mom and baby.
Through the 1980's La Leche League International cautioned about the detrimental impact circumcision can have on breastfeeding.
It's commonly believed that the vast majority of male children are circumcised at birth. I know I thought that. However, a recent report from the CDC shows that the national average is only 58% of newborn males are circumcised, with the Western United States showing only 40% are circumcised (as of 2010).
I hope nobody takes offense or thinks I am preaching here. I wanted to post this simply to share what I found as interesting information. Reading the above quoted card piqued my interest, so that is why I looked into it more.
Very interesting info. While I don't share your views on this, I'm glad you shared it. I think it's good to be able to discuss different opinions.
ReplyDelete